Self-Evaluation

In English class this year, I think that the things I did well in class would be Independent Reading. I probably read every night, but sometimes I would forget to record it in my Homework Diary. And also, I wrote quite a lot of Creative Entries on my blog, not as much as Chong Hao or Angela, but I'm number three on the ‘Most Prolific' list. (Yay me! Lol) But since most of my blogs are the ‘creative' type I kind of... left out most of the Journal Entries. I think that I memorized the ‘Romeo & Juliet' speech OK. I might have paused for a while, but I think that overall, I knew it quite well.

Sigh~ I don't really like writing self-evaluations, because I have to write like I'm really good at all these things...But really, I'm not that great. So I don't really know what to write...

My strength in English...would have to be...writing, I guess. I love writing creative essays, like the ones we have to blog about (well we don't really blog essays, we just write free-topic stuff). I also like poetry, I know it maybe a bit cheesy sometimes, and it may also be hard to understand sometimes, but some poems and sonnets are really meaningful. I tried to write a sonnet once (well, everyone had to), I thought it was really fun, though sometimes it wasn't in iambic pentameter...

The best thing about English would be all the movies we saw. I thought the best movie we saw was ‘West Side Story' because I learnt a lot from that movie. The thing I liked least in English would be watching movies...I guess that doesn't really make sense...but I hate movies like ‘Henry The Fifth', because I could barely understand what they were trying to say and I thought it was quite...uninteresting.

This year, I think the grade I deserve would be... I'm not sure what the grade is out of, but either a 5 of a 6, out of 7, or a 7, 8, or 9 out of 10.

The Basketball Finals

On May the 31st, both the girl's and boy's basketball teams went to Shanghai for their last basketball tournament of the season. It was so sad because we had made so many ‘new friends' during the time we had together as a team. For us (SSIS 2), it was fun, I guess: Out of our 5 matches, we won 4, and lost 1. And SSIS 1 was just the opposite: they won 1, and lost 4. (But they played against some of the toughest teams, and they tried their best) It was so horrible though - our coach - Ms. Anne, didn't come with us, she went with SSIS 1 to Concordia. So... We had MR. DONAHUE come with us to Dulwich (in Shanghai) and he kept on telling us what we were doing wrong, even if we were doing quite well! For one match, he counted out loud whenever we lost the ball to the other team-when they stole it from us. And we all thought that it was so annoying! And even the team we were playing against was laughing at us... That was really embarrassing... There was even once, we were supposed to start a game but he wasn't there! I mean "OUR COACH" isn't even there for our game! So we had to start the game without him, and halfway through the game he came back. BUT DO YOU KNOW WHERE HE WENT?! He went to watch the cricket match at the field outside, and then AFTER that, he went to TOUR THE SCHOOL!! I mean, shouldn't he be like, watching us instead?

I fell down so many times in the games, especially on my back and on my butt, and it hurt so much. Sometimes the opposing team would trip me and I would fall, or sometimes we were fighting for possession and we would fall.

There was once in our losing game, I fell really badly. The opposing team came from SMIC - they were called the ‘Sharks', and well, we are the Dragons - technically Dragons could totally kill Sharks, but we lost 14:02. During the last few minutes of the game, we had possession and I was bringing the ball across the halfway line. I was really nervous and kept on looking at the scoreboard, which read 14:00. Then I passed it to Qiao Yan, she passed it back to me, then I looked around and everyone else was being defended. So I went for a layup, but I got tripped and almost landed on my face. And I couldn't take it anymore because I felt so bad and I started tearing, and I just walked towards the substitutes and sat down on the bench. Someone went in for me after that, because I couldn't play anymore, I just didn't feel like falling anymore. But I sat there and cried for a while, and then I closed my eyes and calmed myself.

On our first game I was fighting for the rebounds, and Elaina (a really tall Brazilian girl on our team) just came and took it (she doesn't have to jump because of her height) and my foot got caught while she was taking a step and I fell HARD on the floor. And I couldn't get up because it hurt too much. I just sat on the floor holding my foot and rocking back and forth. When my teammates saw me they asked me if I was OK, but I said no and I sat out for the rest of the game. After that game whenever I ran it hurt a lot, and I later found out that I had sprained my ankle and I had made the injury worse by continuing to play. I got my foot bandaged for a day and now it's still recovering, I'm not supposed to be straining that foot too much, but we have a PE project coming up.

Although I missed International Day, and although I really disliked my coach, I enjoyed the games, and I enjoyed the time we spent together as a team. Sometimes, when we see each other in the hallways we wave or say ‘Hi' and most of them are eighth graders so I probably won't get to play basketball with them in CISSA next year, but I'll get to play with my sister (who's in grade 6 right now) and all her friends, and meet the ‘new' grade sixes, and have practices with them. I can't wait for basketball next year~!!

Semester Two Exams

This week we had our exams. Starting with Chinese and Math, the ones that I hate the most, what an unlucky coincidence. But now they're over and I'm feeling so relaxed. At the beginning of the week, I was nervous about the exams about not knowing the questions, but now I feel the same: I'm still nervous, but now it's about knowing my scores and showing them to my parents. Because from young, my parents have always been strict on my grades and exams was always a very big deal. But right now I haven't failed any of the exams I got back (which is just Math and Chinese) so I'm quite happy. The only problem is-I didn't get a very outstanding score, no 9s or 10s so far-which also means I'll get in some trouble. I hope I'll do well in Science, and English, and History and basically every thing you get a grade for.

Why do we have exams anyway? It's not fun-- I know... most of the time learning isn't fun. Well, sometimes they are-- like when you're learning about the different kinds of torture in Ancient China, and weird stories about Ancient Rome, or cruel Emperors and a lot of other stuff. But exams just give you a lot of pressure. And even though they tell you that it's only a small part of your grade, it still gives you stress because you don't really believe them (you think OF COURSE EXAMS ARE IMPORTANT, THAT'S WHY THEY'RE CALLED ‘EXAMS'!)

Also, why do we have to gather in the big hall? It doesn't really make you feel better about the tests your about to take, they make you even more worried. I mean, imagine taking a test in your classroom, with only your classmates and ONE teacher. Then imagine taking an exam, or ‘big test', in a big hall with rows and rows and rows of desks with a red carpet on the floor. It gives off a different feeling...

So I was thinking, ban all exams! (lol) We don't like them, and it's not fun!

Basketball & BISS

Last Saturday, we had a basketball match at Concordia, in Shanghai. It was a competitive tournament called the ‘Concordia Cup'. Only a few people from the basketball teams were selected to play as one team. My friends and I were chosen and we all went. We played 5 games in total but we did not win any title (unlike the boys who won the championship cup).

We were all pretty upset we didn't win, and we blamed it all on the refs. The refs were totally unfair, especially on the 3-minute rule! Fiona was in the key for almost 7 minutes and the ref never even called it, and just when Elaina would step in the key - for not even a minute!-it was considered 3 minutes. We lost every single match from then on, because we had the same ref for the game after that. The saddest part is-we could have won. We could have got the second place trophy, or if not, maybe the third place trophy, but we got neither. (T_T). Everyone was so upset after that match, most of us were swearing, some of us were even crying, but our coach told us that it was ok, because we'll beat those teams next week, and we'll prove to them that it wasn't that we sucked, it was those stupid refs.

The most interesting team we played was a shanghai team called BISS. We called them the ‘Barbie Team'. Most of their players had blonde hair, and they all wore heavy makeup with lots and lots of eyeliner. There was one girl who went to sub because she wanted to ‘do her hair' because it got ‘messed up'. We beat them pretty bad, the score was 20 (us) to 0 (them). At first our coach didn't see their school name and she misread it and thought they were called P.I.S.S so she kept on calling them ‘piss', it was hilarious.

I was reminded of them today in History class. We're learning about ancient Rome, and we had to write these ‘curses' that the Romans believed in. And this is how Maya's one went:

Dear ---------,

Please curse the BISS Girl's Basketball Team for swearing at us. May they gouge their eyes out with their Mascara sticks and go blind. And please make them mute too.

Thank you so much,

Maya Bruderer.

Well, it might not be exact, but it was something like that. When we heard it, the class burst out laughing.

Basketball & BISS

The most interesting team we played was a shanghai team called BISS. We called them the ‘Barbie Team'. Most of their players had blonde hair, and they all wore heavy makeup with lots and lots of eyeliner. There was one girl who went to sub because she wanted to ‘do her hair' because it got ‘messed up'. We beat them pretty bad, the score was 20 (us) to 0 (them). At first our coach she didn't see their school name and she misread it and thought they were called P.I.S.S so she kept on calling them ‘piss', it was hilarious.

Dear ---------,

Thank you so much,

Maya Bruderer.

Basketball & BISS

Dear ---------,

Thank you so much,

Maya Bruderer.

MS Girls Basketball Team

I joined the basketball team last month I think together with a few of my friends: Cinthy, Maya, Samantha, and Betty... But we got split into different teams, I'm in SSIS 2 (doesn't mean we suck more than SSIS 1, its just random picks). So we had our first away game last Thursday and I was so nervous. We missed the last two periods which just happens to be blogging period and science class. When we got there though, it was so...different. SAS Puxi is so huge! We had to play in the primary gym, or the elementary gym, and it felt so weird. The courts were much tinier compared to the ones at this school, and the GYM!-it has no windows, and the lights, oh my god! The whole time we were playing the lights went "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz". But I have to admit it was fun, SSIS 2 (the team me and Cinthy are in) won all 3 matches, and SSIS 1 won 1 and lost 2.

If you ever want to come and see us play or during practices, you can stay after school on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and sometimes Thursdays (because its game day so we might not always be around). I would not recommend it though because I... um... kind of suck but we have a lot of good players in our team. Our next away game is the next next week, and I'm soo EXCITED! Hopefully I won't be as nervous as I was this week, and hopefully we have more victories again!

But first...I want to go see the MS Boys Basketball's home game this Tuesday...

Unforgettable [The End]

[Chapter 7]

Unforgettable

And Lena died the night after that. Investigators ruled it an unnatural death, and her family and friends went to her funeral.

She had died of strangulation, which they would find out during the following weeks. Not yet though, because no one but him and her knew. She had screamed but no one heard...

Poor Lena never told her friends about that previous night.

Poor Lena never said goodbye to go to Canada.

Poor Lena didn't get the chance to go to college.

But Lena was happy though others weren't. The many tears shed at her funeral, Lena watched them all. Although they couldn't see her, she was walking amongst them, patting them on the back, pretending to mourn-like she would do in a funeral that wasn't hers. Lena was happy and finally at peace, all that guilt buried inside for three whole years had been washed away. She was fading, but she had a few more things to say.

"Goodbye, my friends. Bye mom and dad, take care...'

And with the lower part of her body, all up to her hip fading, she had one last look at her ‘audience' and her gravestone that read:

Lee Anna, Lena (1995~2111)

Beloved daughter and friend, you will be greatly missed.

And she turned back to wave them goodbye again. Then she noticed something, a small detail she had overlooked. Her friends, lined up in a row. Their faces so sad, but if you looked ever so closely, you could notice anger. Anger and hurt, the need for revenge- Lena had seen it before somewhere. Then her gaze swept to their purses, and with her translucent finger, pointed to their bags in shock. For, in every one of them, she could see clearly, the shape of a gun.

Journal Entries

Like Cinthy, I have also been lacking Journal Entries because I've been focusing so much on our Creative Entries. My last journal entry was probably dated before Cinthy's last entry, which means that I've really been slacking. Let me check...Cinthy's last entry was on January 4th, if I remember correctly, and mine was apparently on...February 16th. A bit later than her's, but she recently wrote one on a book called Stargirl.

Right now I'm reading this book called the Memory Keeper's Daughter, which I think is really, really, really, long and not at all that interesting. It is actually this book I lent from Cinthy because I had finished reading all my books at home and was too lazy to go to the Library (I know...sigh~) so I asked if I could borrow one of hers (she has A LOT of books!) Then she lent me this book, The Memory Keeper's Daughter which she had just finished reading. She warned me "the starting kind of sucks, but it gets more interesting towards the end." Well, maybe she didn't say that exactly, but that was pretty much what she meant. And I've only gotten up to page 179! Cuz we're allowed to switch books if it really isn't that great maybe its worth going to the Library and picking out something. So I'll probably return the book to Cinthy (sorry!). And I even ordered books from the scholastic book fair, for reading during the holidays.

The Unforgettable [6]

[Chapter Six]

The Shock of Her Life

She sprinted, ‘RUN!' Her mind screamed. ‘RUN!' Tears rolled down her cheeks. Those weren't tears of joy, heck no. Those were a mixture of fear and sadness.

What did she see though?

She saw a girl, with a gun. And a dead guy-he was drunk. Sort of like the images in her dreams. Then there was a flash, maybe a camera flash or a torch or some other bright light. Then the image changed, vanished. Instead there was the same man, standing next to the girl, now dead, with a knife in his hand. The girl being so similar to her, the guy looking so similar to the guy in her dreams, she freaked out. She stood there for a while actually, then he looked up and saw her, so she panicked and fled.

'HELP ME!' She screamed, but nothing came out. It was as though there was something caught up in her throat. 'MOM, DAD!' ‘SAMMIE!' No! Damned throat! Where's the sound?! ‘MIA!' Noooo...  ‘CYNTHIA!' She ran as fast as she could, all the way home. She looked for her keys, where were they?

Oh My God!! Could you be more disorganized at a time like this?!

She poured the entire contents onto the front steps. There, thankfully, were her keys, shimmering under the moonlight. She fidgeted for a while, then flung the door open and locked the door. She turned around, and ran to every door and window and locked them too.

Don't freak out, everything will be fine. You're safe now. She attempted to smile, but her vision was clouded.

Lena forgot something important though. Among all the contents of her bag, she had left all but her keys outside, and most important of all her driving license. No don't worry- she didn't die in a car crash or anything. But she had lost her only means of identification (except for her passport, which was locked quite safely in the family safe[?]).

He had recognized her, and had followed her. He didn't run though, he walked casually, but he found her house anyways. After all, who could miss a house with a large pile of junk by the door? He went right up to the front steps and right as he was about to ring the doorbell, he saw a tiny laminated card on the ground. ‘Name: Lee, Anna.' It wrote. ‘Occupation: Student, South Beach High School. Age: 17..." A driver's license, that's good enough, he thought. He studied the photo. It was her, there was no mistake. He could recognize that face through a crowd of a million. Then he took the card and silently left.

Lena couldn't sleep the whole night. She had heard footsteps downstairs, not inside the house but outside. She had panicked still, but had convinced herself that she was hearing things. Then she saw a weird shadow, and then told herself she was hallucinating.

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30